Thursday, June 14, 2012

Betsy Ross Painted Cabinet


I've pinned on Pinterest and been inspired by all the beautiful Union Jack dressers, pillows and other items.  I really wanted to do something like this on a plain cabinet I have.  

I mentioned it to my husband and showed him a photo.  He said "Not in this house.  Ever.  We went to war so we don't have to have that flag in our house" or something to that effect.  I think his face may have gotten flushed, but I'm not sure...

On to plan B.
 I chose to go a little vintage and use the Betsy Ross flag as inspiration.

I could have added "Live Free or Die" OR "Give me Liberty or Give me Death" on the side, but that's a little overkill, hehe.

In honor of the coming Independence Day I worked hard to complete this redo.  It was way easier than I thought it would be, but it was still a labor of love.  All completed in 24 hours...seriously.

I won't keep you in suspense any longer...on to the reveal!!

This cabinet is a simple laminate one from JCPenny and it just carried no personality (despite the cute little bun feet).

When I do any painting of furniture, the piece sort of speaks to me and typically becomes something very different from what I planned on.  I'd originally wanted something similar in color to Courtney's, but after getting the main color on, this piece needed a vibrancy those pale tones wouldn't add.

Before:


AFTER:
`

Cool huh?  We're all loving it, especially the kids.

Here's how I did it.

First of all, it's completely loaded with school books and kids art supplies.  Unloading it would be a pain, as would asking my husband to help me pack it out to the garage.  My solution was to paint it right in the entryway.  
I'm spontaneous like that (read: impatient)

I started off with a coat of Annie Sloan Chalk Paint in Duck Egg Blue.  I covered every area I was wanting to paint with a layer of this because ASCP sticks to ANYTHING with no sanding or prepping. (I did not paint the interior of the cabinet for expediencies sake)

I won't say we didn't have any mishaps since I was doing it in the entryway/kitchen/living space with 5 kids running around.

Here's proof Lydia is ornery, but it was only once.  :)  The cool part is that ASCP is non-toxic, so at least for this coat, I didn't have to worry too much.

I added another coat on the areas that would stay blue.  
Then the doors got 2 coats of homemade chalky paint in white (using plaster of paris).

I taped off an area for the stars and painted it in a custom mixed dark turquoise/navy.

After I removed the tape.

THIS is why homemade chalky paint does not work the exact same as ASCP.  It gives the same look, but not the durability.

Time for the stripes...Valspars Grenadine (sample size)

The stars were done with a cheap little stencil and a tiny art brush.  I had to freehand most of the shape since it wasn't flat, but the stencil helped some.


Lookin' good Betsy, lookin' good.  

Except for damage the tape did
 
  
I decided to just go with the distressing the tape caused, so I lightly sanded the doors to smooth out the peeling latex.  Then I used (for the first time) this antiquing glaze.

Much better!  This stuff worked so well to get the just right amount of aging.  It didn't smell bad either.


For the final step I did a coat of Polycrylic.  I probably could have waxed it, but since the kids are the primary users, I wanted a little more instant durability (my impatience shows itself once again).

All finished!  

I've thought about eventually replacing the red stripes by painting over it with the duck egg blue to tone it down.  Does anyone have thoughts on that idea?
 

 



 


Happy Flag Day!  
♥ I think this is the perfect day to post a makeover such as Betsy ♥

Sundae Scoop Party @ I Heart Nap Time
Restyled Sundays @ Stylish Once Again 

Twice Owned Tuesday @ House of Grace
The Well Crafted Home
http://salttree.blogspot.com/

The DIY Dreamer
It's OVerflowing








Photobucket

29 comments:

  1. Miranda...that is just AWESOME! What a great project. I love all things patriotic and this is one of my new favorites. Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this cabinet the minute I saw it! What an inspiration! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG!! I am laughing hysterically here. My husband almost stroked out when I bought a wood Union Jack tray! He told me, "We won...why would you have THAT in our house?" LOLOL! I so adore your cabinet! "The British are coming!! But not to our house!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Waaay COOL! Perfect! I love that you chose the Betsy Ross style. Love that duck egg blue, too. Bravo, Bravo!!
    <3 Christina at I Gotta Create!
    Wildly Original Round Up party is open.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a great transformation!! I totally get the hubs reaction (; You regrouped and created something that was perfect for you both...Awesome job!

    XOXO
    Michele

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is an amazing new cabinet! Wow, you did a great job.

    www.itsybitsypaperblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely! Just loving everything Americans this year! Stop by my blog and look at my flag blanket chest!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ha your husband is so funny I'd agree though! Glad you went with the Betsey Ross, for sure my favorite! I’d love it if you’d link up to TA-DA TUESDAY also!
    ~Misty
    413 Sparrow Lane

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was just thinking about doing something similar to this the other day and here it is! Super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  10. My husband said the same thing! Have been thinking of an Ohio flat in muted tones. Very lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love it. Although I like the Union Jack inspiration.........this one is cuter. You did a great job.

    Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks great, I LOVE any AMERICAN flag! I love that you did this in your foyer. Found you from MMS, inspiring blog!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love it! I am a total flag decor nut. Very nice job! Thanks for sharing at Restyled Sundays.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You did a great job om the armoire. I may have to try the valspar glaze, as I like the effect!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow! I love your redo, and with 5 kids running around while you are crafting, impressive!

    Hugs, Tanya

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ok...couldn't wait to share this so I'm featuring you on Facebook today! http://www.facebook.com/pages/Igottacreate/100573240032625?sk=wall

    You can be sure you'll be in my July 4th feature extravaganza, too!! Thanks so much for linking up at I Gotta Create!
    <3 Christina

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks so much for linking up to TA-DA TUESDAY! SO blessed to have you :)
    ~Misty
    413 Sparrow Lane

    ReplyDelete
  18. I just love it! You did an awesome job! I'm a milspouse, too, and used to live in Alaska!

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a great a fabulous job you have done on your cabinet.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Miranda this cabinet is soooo cool. it turned out perfectly! I would not change a thing. You really thought a lot about the creative process!!

    xoxo
    Karena
    Art by Karena
    2012 Artists Series

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love this idea....and what a super job you did!! I have two vintage off-white kitchen pantries that I'm now considering this for. I might set them side-by-side (as they are very slender).
    Thanks for the great post!

    ReplyDelete
  22. very patriotic(:
    New follower from the Blog Hop
    -Buffi
    My Wonderfully Dysfunctional Blog

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love this. I haven't seen that antiquing glaze before but I so have to get some. Thanks so much for sharing on Tout It Tuesday! Hope to see you next week.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Perfect choice of design for that cabinet! It turned out great!

    ReplyDelete
  25. It looks soooo wonderful!!!!! Such a beautiful piece!

    Thanks so much for sharing this at The DIY Dreamer.. From Dream To Reality! I can't wait to see what you'll be linking up this evening!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I LOVE your cabinet. I think my husband would have a fit if I wanted an entire cabinet painted like a flag although I have flags in several different vignettes. You did a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Just wanted you to know I featured your armoire on my blog today!

    ReplyDelete
  28. You're a STAR today over at I Gotta Create! Your lovely Betsy Ross cabinet is in the Star-Spangled feature lineup. Thanks so much for linking up!

    <3 Christina
    http://igottacreate.blogspot.com/2012/07/star-spangled-spectacular-25-july-4th.html

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...