Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Nightstand Makeover

I got 2 nightstand/dressers at a scratch and dent sale a couple of months ago.  I like the clean lines and the hardware was awesome.  But the finish wasn't my ideal and they were both too damaged to just leave as is.

This was my first time using primer and whitewash.  I had a lot of trial and error with this project, but I think it ended up working out great!


BEFORE:
AFTER:

After the first coat of primer.  I really blew it not making sure my strokes all went in the right direction that VERY FIRST COAT.  Dumb.

After 3 coats of Dutch Boy's  "Coconut Milk" (and some distressing that I decided I hated)

After 1 more coat of paint (to cover the distressing) I decided the solid white wasn't working for this piece.  So I tried whitewashing.  I did 3 coats with a combination of water, a sample pale gray, the Coconut Milk, and Martha Stewart's "Mourning Dove".   The last coat I added some extra Mourning Dove to give more contrast.

It came out with a metallic-ish sheen that you can only see when you look close. (these pics are a little dark, but it's the best I could do in the natural light) 

I finished it off with a hand rubbed wax.  I think if I had to do it over again, I'd have used the brush on Poly instead.  But it's done.  What do you think?

Linking up at







 
PERFECTLY IMPERFECT BLOG
 
Furniture Feature Fridays







6 comments:

  1. It looks brilliant! You've performed a makeover miracle! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks really good! It is a fun piece, made new! Lot of work huh. . .

    ReplyDelete
  3. gorgeous!!! i love it without the distressing, too- it's very chic and modern! thanks for joining my party!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the nightstands Miranda! The clean white is always refreshing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i love what you did with this, I would just make one change which would be to replace the handles to blue or green glass.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yikes, how many weeks did it take you to put this many coats on? The end result looks wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...