Saturday, October 6, 2012

Some Autumn Things

The kids and I have spent the last couple of days cleaning and reorganizing the house after 2 weeks of company.  

It's not that guests are messier, it's that I'm lazier when they're here. 
After all, I want to be a gracious hostess and I don't think an OCD daughter-in-law running around with rags and a duster, rearranging furniture and griping about dust would convey that, hehe.  So I took a break from that craziness, but we're back at it now.

I added some simple fall touches to the house today.

Dave's parents bought 2 large pumpkins for the kids while they were here.  At nearly $11 a piece, these squash come dear.  It's too cold at night to leave them outside, so I had to find a place for them in the house until they can be carved.

There is just something sweet about the simplicity of pumpkins.  These are sitting on top of a long muslin runner I've gathered to look relaxed.
 

I'm still enjoying the book page garland I won from Knick of Time last yearIt will be on better display for Thanksgiving time, but for now, I like it's hidden charm.


For my dining table, I used a simple burlap and muslin runner and just added painted candlesticks, a small pumpkin (the only one my garden produced this year) and a beautiful vibrant ribbon I received from a friend (read further down this post to hear the story).



 **********************************************************

My shutter post was featured today at I Gotta Create!  While I was commenting, I noticed another feature Christina had on Biscuits and Chocolate Gravy.  Intrigued, I took a little pinch of time from the cleaning and laundry to make a fun and completely unhealthy lunch for my kids.  

As far the recipe goes, I traded out the heavy cream for whole milk (just because I didn't have enough cream)...which meant the dough didn't come together well.  I had to add an extra cup or so of flour...which meant the biscuits came out really heavy.

My solution?  A sort of fondue style lunch.
They LOVED this "meal".  It was the first thing they told their Daddy about when he got home.

*************************************** 
 Now I'll tell you about a lady that blessed me this month.  
Nan is a lovely bloggy friend of mine.  She has a fun blog about living here in Alaska.  I got to meet her a few weeks ago when she and her husband and "boys" were visiting their grandson in Fairbanks.  When Nan returned home, she promptly sent back a vintage book about a dolly that reminded her of Lydia.

Isn't it packaged so sweet?   Do you recognize the ribbon it's wrapped in?  I just had to the use it in my house...the color is so striking!

The book is called "Hitty: Her First Hundred Years"   I'm so excited to read it to the kids on the coming long winter days.  They are too.  Thank you Nan!!

We've been having beautiful days here lately, so we're just soaking it up.  I know the snow is coming soon, but not just yet please!




Featured at:

http://salttree.net/



Linking to:


Twice Owned Tuesday @ House of Grace
 Uncommonly Yours @ Uncommon Designs Online
Share It @ The Winthrop Chronicles
Party @ Organize and Decorate Everything
Show Me What You Got @ Our Delightful Home 




Home is where the heart is. - Link it up! - Wednesdays - HomesteadSimple.com

The Well Crafted Home

Hubby Made Me
button

 
http://salttree.blogspot.com/
The DIY Dreamer
mop it up mondays

http://debtfreemommyblog.blogspot.com


It's OVerflowing
TutusandTeaParties
Becoming Martha

19 comments:

  1. And we here in Southern Manitoba just dealt with 2 days of really ugly, cold, wet, windy, rain/snow. I am so thankful for the sunshine that today brings and the promise for sunshine next week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that book page garland, and your fall decor is lovely. I'm glad your children liked their biscuits and chocolate gravy lunch!

    Melissa @ The Alchemist

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your sign and pumpkin decor...very cute! I love fall!

    ReplyDelete
  4. looks simple yet lovely enjoy thanks for linking up to our party

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is all so pretty! Love the RUNNERS!!! So simple... So terrific....
    And the kids ADORABLE !!!!

    Happy Halloween!
    Crystelle
    http://www.crystelleboutique.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE that table runner! And the pumpkins look really nice where you have them till they can be carved.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello All No I didn't see this blog post until now. Got your e-mail thanks. I love what you did with the ribbon. I bought a spool of that just because I loved the color. It's funny how much pumpkins are in Alaska! I think last year they were 11.99 at Safeway, haven't seen yet this year. I know you and the kids will love that story of Hitty. I've been busy lately here with my student who comes today. I just haven't been having the time or inclination to blog the last month but that will change. Take Care
    Nan

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a nice gift from Nan!! That is a great book!! My daughter and I read it together when she was younger!! The wrapping is so sweet and your family is just gorgeous!! Have a great night!! =) Deanna

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your home says fall, and looks really beautiful..$11.00 pumpkins, yikes!

    I especially love your table ..
    I came over from Knick of Time Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ok, first I have to say how precious your children look! The little one is beyond cute! Your home is looking like fall, and love that table runner!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What lovely vignettes for fall! I love that Gather banner...great idea to use book pages!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Simple, warm, inviting and elegant. Love it! This is such an awesome post. I would love it if you would share this post at our WIW linky party. Hope you can join us. :-)

    Paula
    ivyandelephants.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Just lovely :) I love everything you have done with excellent taste! Thanks for sharing. I am visiting from the Farmgirl Friday link up :) Have a wonderful weekend! ~ JES

    ReplyDelete
  14. Miranda, I am new to your blog (found you through The Shabby Nest) and just read this post. Your autumn touches are just beautiful! And your children...what gorgeous little blessings.

    I can see a glimpse of your dining room curtains in this post. Did you make them or buy them somewhere? I am "crushing" on them!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love all of your Fall touches! That table runner is gorgeous too :o)

    Thanks for partying with us @ Keep Calm & Link Up this week!
    xo, Meredith @www.waittilyourfathergetshome.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for linking up to our Pretty Things party. Hope to see you back next week!

    ReplyDelete
  17. The house looks lovely! Thanks for the shout-out and it sounds like the biscuits and chocolate gravy were a hit. Lovely gift you received, too. :)
    Thanks so much for linking up!
    <3 Christina

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love your pretty autumnal touches, Miranda. You've definitely demonstrated how beautiful simplicity can be. ;)

    Thanks for linking to Time Travel Thursday. I hope to see you again this week. Be sure to stop in tonight to see yourself featured.

    Blessings,
    Liz @ The Brambleberry Cottage

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...