Thursday, January 12, 2012

New Curriculum is on it's way!

We've been using A.C.E. for the last 2 years of homeschooling.  The kids like it, but I wasn't feeling like it was cohesive enough or immersing them in any subject long enough to pique their interest.

I lean towards wanting to unschool, meaning that you just let them be, and offer lots of opportunity for them to explore whatever subject matter they're interested in.  In the end, it's been shown that kids get a comprehensive education, just not the way we traditionally imagine it.  But I also want a little structure too, or I think I'd be worrying all the time about where they were academically.  

I am very relaxed in my homeschooling approach.  I want it to be fun, and I also think that they learn best when left to their own devices.  So we "do school", but most of the day is theirs to explore things on their own.  It's amazing how much more they know about nature than I do, because they're fascinated by all things animals.  In so many ways, they are smarter than me; and I love it.

Math has been a struggle since we started homeschooling, so lately I've gotten serious about finding something that I thought they'd like better. 
"Teaching Textbooks" was recommended to me by multiple sources here in Alaska, so I decided to give it a shot.  We've been doing for a week and the kids are loving it.  It's so nice to not have tears at math time.  They look forward to it now.  I hope that continues.


January is usually when we start our new school year and finish up last years work.  I was going to order A.C.E. again for all the other subjects, but then I saw this review from Kris at Weird, Unsocialized Homeschoolers (LOVE her blog)  Based on her review and some research, I decided to try out a new program.

  

I love that Adin and Elsa will be learning the exact same thing all the time (this will mean lots of conversations while in the car, let me tell you), but the homework is adjusted for their ages.  I've been fascinated with the Charlotte Mason style of learning for a while, but struggled with the lack of direction it would provide for me to teach the kids.  This curriculum will provide direction for me and a classical style education for them, while immersing them in history.

I am so excited to get going.  I'll let you know after a few weeks of work how it's going. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...