Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Proud of my boy

I just have to say how proud I am of Adin.  I LOVE LOVE LOVE to read.  And I really want to instill that love in my kids.  They like books, but for the most part it's just fun books with pictures in them.  Interesting them in chapter books has not went over well yet, and I find myself annoyed at them while I'm trying to get them to pay attention when I read to them, so I've kind of given up for now.  

Adin is a an intellectual kid, fixated on facts and how things work.  He will pour over everything he can learn about a subject, exhaust the knowledge that is offered and then move on to something else.  It's an interesting way of learning.  I call it Subject Mastery, some would call it obsessive.  His favorite subject tends to be airplanes.  I'm not sure how much of this is due to the coolness of airplanes themselves, or that Daddy is a pilot.  My recent observation is that airplanes are so complex and have been around for so long, that it's hard to exhaust that subject. 
Example:  he'll go through focusing on snakes, then to airplanes, then to spiders, back to airplanes, then sharks, back to airplanes, the titanic, back to airplanes...see what I'm saying?
Here is his usual reading fare:
 
 
 
 
Great for his mind, but not so much for his imagination.

Adin's new Literature and Creative Writing has chapter books that he has to read through and then fill out the answers to questions and quizzes in the school work.  First up was Charlotte's Web.  After balking the first couple of lessons of learning how to use the index and chapters etc., he went into my room to read a chapter.  And now, guess what his favorite subject is?   Yep, Creative Writing.  It does a Mama's heart good to see this now:

Just had to brag.  He's totally enjoying the book.  I'm hoping this leads to a love of reading that goes beyond fact finding missions. :)


On another note, the weather is awesome around here.  It was almost 40 degrees today!  I'm praying for continued nice weather and NO MORE SNOW!

Our snowman lost the rest of his facial features today.  :( The kids went out and collected the rocks to save to rebuild him next year  ♥
 I finally moved the pumpkins to the other side of the fence so they don't rot on the deck with the warmer temps
 And I started the kids to shoveling the snow off the deck so we can use that it the warmer temps.  It's going to take a while since there is still about 2" of ice underneath the snow, but if we can get the 1.5ft of snow off the ice, then the 35 degree weather will do the rest.
Loving the promise of spring!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...