Thursday, February 10, 2011

Perspectives that lead to freedom - part 2

God has been impressing upon my heart very frequently that I need to take this life as it comes.  To be in the moment and not be constantly looking forward to what is coming next.  I have no real power over my future or even my present.  The only thing I can do is to enjoy the NOW.  To just BE.  To love life, just as it is.

A couple of verses would apply here for sure.  The first one is Ecclesiastes 3:1-13

1There is a time for everything,
and a season for every activity under heaven:
2a time to be born and a time to die,
a time to plant and a time to uproot,
3a time to kill and a time to heal,
a time to tear down and a time to build,
4a time to weep and a time to laugh,
a time to mourn and a time to dance,
5a time to scatter stones and a time to gather them,
a time to embrace and a time to refrain,
6a time to search and a time to give up,
a time to keep and a time to throw away,
7a time to tear and a time to mend,
a time to be silent and a time to speak,
8a time to love and a time to hate,
a time for war and a time for peace.
9What does the worker gain from his toil? 10I have seen the burden God has laid on men. 11He has made everything beautiful in its time. He has also set eternity in the hearts of men; yet they cannot fathom what God has done from beginning to end. 12I know that there is nothing better for men than to be happy and do good while they live. 13That everyone may eat and drink, and find satisfaction in all his toil—this is the gift of God.

The other one I think of is Matthew 6:31-34

31So do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ 32For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. 33But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. 34Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.

As I consider these things, God brought some small reminders into my life that caused me to pause and think.  The first thing was the video I posted the other day.  I'll post it again for good measure
I felt led to buy the book to read and I just got it in the mail, so it will be started this week (no, I will not procrastinate).  From the reviews I've read, it sounds like it will be tough on the emotions.  I tend to stay away from anything super emotional or dramatic in my life because I just don't care to deal with the extra stress and needless anxiety it causes.  But yet, here I am reading this book.  God wanted it me to...I'll just blame it on that, and then I'll let you know how it goes!

Then I saw this post from a blog I read frequently and it stuck with me.  It's not from a Christian perspective, but from someone who thinks a lot and has chosen to focus on what's important. 
I'll conclude for now by just encouraging you to take each thing as it comes, but always keep in perspective what is truly important.  Finances, jobs, daily stresses, routines...these are not the important things.  Embrace all of those little moments you are given, and the gifts that you have.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...