Tuesday, February 8, 2011

My youngest

Ephraim is now 34 months old.  In 2 months, he will be 3.  By this age with the other kids, we've already had a new baby in the house, so we didn't get to experience this one on one time with them like we have with Ephraim.

Ephraim is extremely ornery.  He's pretty demanding due to the other kids spoiling him and giving him his way to avoid a confrontation with him.  We're working on improving his pushing them around right now, but as I discovered today, "I'm sorry" is not an easy thing for him to say at all.  I think he actually gets that he is admitting he's wrong, and so he resists.  Ah, the joys of 3.  2 years old has NOTHING on 3, I'm telling you.

But on to happier things.  Bedtime is still pretty random for the little man.  He doesn't take a nap during the day and hasn't for almost a year.  So by nighttime he's pretty tired, but resists going to sleep.  Often he goes to bed when Dave does and then I move him into his room after 20 minutes or so.  Or maybe we'll find him sleeping on the floor in a quiet spot (he really likes my closet for some reason) or someplace like this:
I love it when he does this

Is there anything more beautiful than that? (love his flushed cheeks)

Last night though, was the perfect moment for me.  Ephraim had woken up after Dave went to work and crawled into bed with me.  After a while of sleeping, I feel these little hands gently pulling on my back (like a hug) and hear a whispered "Come 'ere, Mama, Come 'ere".  I roll over and he snuggles into my arms with a sigh, his head resting on my shoulder.  And I think...THIS is what I live for.  It's these small moments.  The instinctive love that your children give, despite all the frustrations of the day.  THAT is beauty.


I'm so glad we're having this time with him before the new baby comes along.  God knew Ephraim needed extra attention to help guide him.  He knew that we needed to experience the fun that comes from the independence of not having an infant.  I can't wait to see our baby girl and have her in our lives, but I also no longer dread this baby being the last little one for our family (unless the Lord has other plans)
That's a gift in and of itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...