Sunday, February 13, 2011

Wheat Grinder!

I got my new NutriMill a week or two ago and I finally got brave enough to open it and start grinding my own wheat.
The mill was a little mystifying for me at first.  It's hard for me to break out of my shell to learn new things, but I am determined, so I pushed past my apprehension and got it all put together.  Thank goodness for explicit instructions!
 Then I broke open this bag of beauty

 The wheat berries look and smell so good
 I couldn't get a good photo of the ground flour after grinding, but I'll work on that later.  For now, I've made a couple of loaves of bread from my fresh wheat flour and the texture and flavor is amazing.  I still have to find a recipe I like so the bread is not so dense, so I will be calling on my bread baker expert friends to help me out. 

The grinding process wasn't nearly as involved as I anticipated.  I have to admit that it's much more interesting to be this invested in the baking process...it becomes that much more personal.  I'm on a quest to be more self sufficient, but here in Alaska, that is asking a lot.  For now, I'm starting with this :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...