Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Santa

I'll do an update complete with pics in a day or two, but I had to note something my little one said one said on Monday night. We were watching Monday night football with my in-laws, and Isaac (he'll be 4 at the end of the month) asked where a certain toy came from Papa: "a toymaker must have made it" Isaac: "no, that's weird" Papa: "I bet Santa brought it" Isaac: "Nooooo, Papa, Santa's not real!" Too funny. But am I ruining my kids' childhood? I don't pretend that Santa, the Easter bunny or the tooth fairy or some of the other make believe stuff is real. I take it and talk about it like it is...they are pretend things that people made up to add more fun to the holiday (well, except St Nick, my kids know who he is), we enjoy the fun of it, but the REAL reason for Christmas is what we celebrate. It just doesn't make any sense to me to try and institute real and true respect for the gift that we received of Christ's Birth, while making a big deal about Santa Claus. And so, I may have ruined my kids. I have talked with them being respectful and quiet about what they know if there are kids that believe Santa is real. It's a parents' prerogative in my opinion. But I just don't feel right essentially lying to my kids, only to have their hopes dashed at a later date. And to have them confused about the importance of why we celebrate Christmas. Jesus Christ is at the heart of our celebration, and I don't feel there is room for the large presence of Santa Claus.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...