Saturday, March 28, 2009

BEEKEEPING!


So, just in case I don't have enough going on, I am now going to be a bee keeper. Yesterday, my sister Amber and I took a trip to a Bee Keeping store in Portland. http://ruhlbeesupply.com/ I wasn't planning on us buying the whole setup, but once we were there, we found that we needed to if we were going to have bees this year. For those that don't know, my sister's family and mine live on acreage next to one another. This is working out so well. We both feel safe and secure with knowing our neighbors well ;) And this year, we're putting into effect our canning/community garden. Anything that's hard and requires a lot of work, we try to pool our energy and resources to accomplish it. So, we are now the proud owners of a beginning bee setup. We also got the gear needed to work the bees. Our "swarm" will arrive in 2 weeks. In the meantime, we need to put together our boxes and get them painted. We can make them pretty, but the colors have to be light so the bees stay calm. This is going to be a trip for sure. I'm sure I will know way more about bees than I had ever planned on. We probably won't get any honey to harvest until next year, but you have to start sometime. "Bee Keeping for Dummies"....here we come!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...