Thursday, March 26, 2009

Learning to Knit

I've always been interested in learning to knit. I admire the skill. It's an art. Knitting makes beautiful things, and brings the maker and wearer right back to the basics. Natural fibers, turned into clothing and household articles....handmade with love. What could be better? My friend Nicole has wanted to learn for a while now. So though I am terrified to take big leaps into things (I think I'm afraid of failure), I decided to learn to knit. Our good friend Monica kindly offered to teach us. We are trying to meet once a week for a couple of hours. We're working on a pair of board shorts for our little ones. It's not an easy beginning project, but because it uses so many different stitches and skills, hopefully we'll be proficiently knitting by the time we're through. Here's a pic...it doesn't look like much, but there's a lot of effort and work in there. What you see in solid red is the waistband. The colorway is the beginning of the pants' hips.
This is similar to what they'll look like when completed. Is Ephraim cute or what?
We're meeting at an adorable local yarn shop. It's so peaceful. We sit in cozy chairs, chatting and knitting. It's a real community thing. I love it. I hope to get really good at this. What an awesome hobby.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...