Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Changes in the Kitchen


Today while I was deep cleaning the kitchen (I wiped all the tops and fronts of my cabinets and floors with yummy lavender Dr Bronners soap!) and with the sun coming in all beautiful and bright decided it was a good day to finally get some pics taken of the changes we made to the kitchen.  

I was able to make a few affordable changes that I think made a big difference.
Here is the before photos from our realtor

This is one I took from the first week when we moved in

And now:  (can you see the differences?)


We painted the walls in Sherwin Williams Zircon (best color ever!)

We raised the corner cabinets so that they were flush at the bottom, rather than the top.  While the cabinets could still benefit from crown molding (not in the budget right now), this small change gives the kitchen so much more interest than it had before...not to mention the corners of the kitchen counters get a lot more light 

We changed out the lighting and I added a ruffled curtain.  I am still on the hunt for just the right piece to go above the window.  I have some ideas, but I'm not sure if I'll make it myself or get something off Etsy.

It was such a gorgeous day outside.  We got a foot of new snow over the weekend, but the sun was shining and bright.  Even though it was 3 degrees outside, I just had to get some fresh air in the house.  It felt so wonderful, I left the window open for over an hour!

I added pulls to the drawers.  I got them off of Ebay.  It's my favorite place for pulls.  6 of them only cost about 18 shipped.  In the house we built a couple of years ago, I bought oil rubbed bronze pulls and knobs for the whole kitchen for under $60.


Some of my favorite accessories that made it through the move here


LOVE these letters.  My husband is still mystified as to my obsession with them, but that makes them even more fun!


And here is my porcelain Rooster that I've owned since we lived in Mississippi 10 years ago.  He's made it through 3 moves now.  I found him in a gift shop and obsessed for 6 months before finally just buying him.  Someday I want enough space on my kitchen counters so he can have a more prominent place of honor

And the clay pigeon in the corner there was gift my in laws sent me while we were living in Mississippi. I love her character too.  One of these days, I'll get a close up pic of her chippy sweetness 

Up there on that wall I'm planning another crafty art project.  It's too bad I don't have any scraps laying around here, because I have some good ideas.  It will all have to be bought at the home improvement store though, so I have to pace the budget

And to cap off the day, I added a new scent to my scentsy warmer this afternoon.  What a great scent!  My husband loves it, but it just makes me hungry.  So goes it when you're 7 months pregnant I guess...everything makes me think of food.  

Thanks for looking at the changes we made!

Linking to:




 My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia


Photobucket
Today's Creative Blog


  http://linda-coastalcharm.blogspot.com/
Anything Related


Transformation Thursday

giveaways

20 comments:

  1. Your kitchen looks great! Isn't it the best feeling when we get to personalize our homes? Then it finally begins to feel like our own. :-)

    Have a great day!

    Blessings,
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just stumbled onto your blog and love it! You've given me ideas for "budget" improvements to my kitchen! Whew, four little home schoolers, makes me less whiney about my twin five year olds that I'm attempting to home school! Hugs and wishes for a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your kitchen is very nice (and clean - don't know if my kitchen is ever clean enough for a photo). I really love the ruffled curtain!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a pretty kitchen. Thanks for joining WUW.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Isn't it amazing what hardware can do? I love that you raised the corner cabinets too...I would never have thought of that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful kitchen ! I love the roster story!hugs

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Miranda, it's really nice to meet you and read about "blooming where you're planted". I love your philosophy! Your kitchen - so pretty to begin with but I love your new ruffled curtain - that is awesome! - and the pretty color on the walls. I just did drawer pulls from Ebay too and am so glad! Thanks for stopping by and checking out my kitchen too!
    -Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  8. I absolutly love your kitchen curtain. and your rooster is cute too. I have one that is relegated to the top of the fridge right now due to space issues too!
    ~Kimberlee
    www.TheSpunkyDiva.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great idea to raise your corner cabinets! And all of your extra touches just make it feel so warm and welcoming. I love that curtain! Did you make it? Thanks for linking this one up to Inspiration Friday too! :-)
    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love that colour. It's so beautiful. We can't get Sherwin Williams paints over in the UK. Grrr....

    I'll just have to live vicariously through your paint choices!

    Sarahx

    ReplyDelete
  11. PS..I'm also your newest follower! yay! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am in LOVE with your kitchen!!! So pretty, you did a wonderful job! Thanks for stopping by my blog today...sad news about your craigslist :(

    ReplyDelete
  13. Vanessa, I bought the curtains off of Ebay. I did a post on it a while back. I love them still. http://bloominginalaska.blogspot.com/2010/10/love.html

    Mallorie, thanks for becoming a follower! I'm planning a great giveaway for when I get to 100 followers, but at the rate I'm going, it may be next year! Oh well. I tend to be the kind of person that has few friends, but they're close ones. Maybe that's how my blog works out too :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love what you did in your kitchen. Love the hardware you picked out for your cabinets, what a difference! You did such a good job.
    -emily
    www.nestnestingnested.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your kitchen is so pretty, love your added touches. Thanks for linking up today, hope you have a fabulous week!
    XO
    Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's amazing what a few little changes will do! Looking good!

    ReplyDelete
  17. just found your blog and LOVE the name of it! Great touches - that ruffley window covering is fantastic!

    Stop by for a visit sometime...www.northerncottage.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. love the curtain!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    gorgeous photos!
    happy day!
    Rosa

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...