Friday, June 8, 2012

Dry Brushed Side Table

I got this table for just $15 off of Craigslist.  It was pretty damaged, but with a little work, it's been made charming again.

I used a reverse dry brushing technique on this one 
(I don't think that's the technical term, but that's what I'm calling it)

I had a little Annie Sloan Chalk Paint in Old White left, but when I opened the can, it hadn't been properly sealed and had dried out!  In desperation, I added some water and reconstituted it.  Thank goodness it worked.

However, it only gave me enough for a pathetic one coat.  

First I sanded the table to remove the grime and the worst of the dents and melted veneer (not sure how the previous owners managed that).  
Then I added a coat of the ASCP.   Not pretty yet, but it had promise.

I decided to go with the look and heavily hand sand it afterwards.  This is where the beauty of ASCP comes in.  Not only does it adhere to any surface, but it sands down like nothing else.  See the chalk dust?  No homemade chalky style paint will do that because it still has latex in it.

After sanding (which left my whole driveway, myself and the camera covered in dust), I waxed it with a clear minwax.

 Here is the finished product:
 

I spray painted the original hardware with hammered black and lightly sanded to distress

I'm quite happy with how it turned out.  It's not a style for everyone, but the look is interesting and fits well with the uniqueness of our living room.  I was planning to resell it, but for now, it's staying right here ♥
 



My table was featured here!



Linking to:
 Feature Friday FREE-FOR-ALL @ 5 Days, 5 Ways
Sundae Scoop Party @ I Heart Nap Time
Restyled Sundays @ Stylish Once Again 

Creative me @ The Southern Institute Martha Mondays @ Watch Out Martha
Twice Owned Tuesday @ House of Grace
 Uncommonly Yours @ Uncommon Designs Online
Share It @ The Winthrop Chronicles 
Party @ Organize and Decorate Everything 
Show Me What You Got @ Our Delightful Home 


The Well Crafted Home

http://salttree.blogspot.com/
 Poofy Cheeks
It's OVerflowing

Photobucket

24 comments:

  1. Wow, you did a great job on that table! I really like the colour you chose too.

    My weekly Say G'Day Party has just started! Please pop on over if you have a minute-I'd be thrilled if you could join in and share this great post.

    Best wishes,
    Natasha in Oz

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this but Bob would not go for this look as he likes things to look perfect and can't understand this. In fact I have a table like it in oak but without the drawer in my living room. Once I took an old black dresser I inherited from my sister and did it in a cream putting some decals on the two large drawers and getting the mirror finish on the back redone. That's as close as I came to a big change in furniture lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the table found it's perfect home!
    Blessings, Joanne

    ReplyDelete
  4. The table turned out great! I need to try sanding on one of my projects!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks A-mazing! Love all the sweet distressing! Hope you share with my Pink Hippo Party @ http://pinkapotamus.blogspot.com/2012/06/pink-hippo-party-82.html
    I am your newest follower~
    xoxo
    Amie @ Pinkapotamus

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks terrific! I stopped by from Homemaker on a dime and am your newest follower. Have a wonderful day :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's a great little table. Such pretty lines and fun that you could make do with the leftovers in the can and bring them back to life to give this piece a new look! Found your post at the Winthrop Chronicles.
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  8. So ends up one coat was enough? It looks great!!! You didn't sand it at all before? I'm asking because I have two pieces of furniture that I need to paint and they both have varnish on them.

    Thanks for sharing at The DIY Dreamer.. From Dream To Reality!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful transformation you did with this one, the piece turns out to be unique and looking nice and tidy. I am your new fan & follower.
    www.boulevardelantique.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love this! I have a side table similar to this one that I am thinking about painting. Just bought my first few cans of Annie Sloan Chalk Paint so I will be experimenting soon!

    Julie
    jamscorner.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love it, and so simple. GREAT MAKEOVER.
    Im now following you. Please come visit me at PICKINandPAINTIN.blogspot.com and hopefully you'll follow back. THANKS.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great makeover. I have been debating on ASCP since no one close carries it and shipping isn't cheap. This makes me think I need to get a couple of cans. I would love it if you would share on Tout It Tuesday! http://www.claimingourspace.com/2012/06/tout-it-tuesday-10.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. It turned out to be a lovely table. . .

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a fabulous makeover! You have a lovely blog. I look forward to seeing you at My Dream Canvas. Have a great day. Anu

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Miranda,
    I am working on a little table with ASCP also. I am trying the wax before you sand technique. I'll do a post and let you know how that works.
    You certainly did press on with your little bit of paint but the results are lovely.
    ~~Ahrisha~~

    ReplyDelete
  16. That is a great job...just LOVE it :)
    and do not miss..

    S
    A
    T
    U
    R
    D
    A
    Y

    S
    H
    O
    W

    O
    F
    F

    it is FUN :)
    WELCOME
    Håkan ( The Roseman)

    ReplyDelete
  17. It looks awesome. Isn't it amazing what you can do with even a little bit of ASCP?
    Thanks for sharing at Restyled Sundays. Hope you will come back soon.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks so much for sharing on Tout It Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love stuff like this, great job! I would love you to share it on my linky party!
    http://www.igottatrythat.com/p/blog-hop-linky-colde.html
    Thanks,
    Marcie @ www.IGottaTryThat.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love the way it turned out!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...