Sunday, February 20, 2011

Perspectives that lead to freedom - part 3

I started "One Thousand Gifts" about a week ago.  It must have been an bit of an emotional day for me because I bawled through the whole first chapter.  It was tough.  Ann Voscamp's writing style is a mixture of prose and practical, forcing the brain and heart to process the information differently than you would when reading a typical book.  Interesting to be sure.  I finished that chapter and then took a breather.  I have felt a bit broken, but that's okay, because I feel that God wants me to be there right now.

Today after church, I again picked up the book to read and this time made it through nearly 2 chapters.  For now, I will share a bit of what her quest revealed.


“How,” Ann wondered, “do we find joy in the midst of deadlines, debt, drama, and daily duties? What does the Christ-life really look like when your days are gritty, long—and sometimes even dark? How is God even here?”
A friend challenged her to make a list of 1,000 gifts.  Not gifts she wants, but one she already has CLICK HERE FOR AN EXCERPT

In order for us to have a truly full life in Christ and to live life to the fullest, we should be seeking out a spirit of Eucharisteo...Thankfulness.  But even as Paul wrote, this is not simply a decision we make, but a learning, a habit.  

Philippians 4:11-12 (NIV)

11 I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. 12 I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. 

And so today, that is what I'm ruminating on; the desire or the knowledge that we need to be thankful vs. the actions we take that make us TRULY thankful...in life, in death, in debt.

3 comments:

  1. I am reading A Thousand Gifts as well. It is very thought provoking and I find myself soaking in Ann's words. I love her writing style! I have to say that the first chapter had a similar affect on me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heidi, I actually thought of you when I was reading it and I wondered if you had read it I was actually thinking about having a little giveaway for my few followers, because I think this book is life changing.

    Did you see that there in an online bible study through (In)courage? I think they're about 4 chapters in, so I'm planning to go back and catch up http://www.incourage.me/2011/02/one-thousand-gifts-1.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the link! I'm excited to go through this study. I think I will do the same and start at the beginning.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...