Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Getting a system going...

I've been trying to get into a routine, so there hasn't been a lot of good blogging time.  Not only that, I haven't had enough going on to come up with a good subject to blog about.  I guess I'll do a little update for now...

Until recently (because he didn't have a job) , Dave has been the main teacher for the kids with the homeschooling.  In the last 2 weeks, I've been trying to find a good system so that I can teach them my way.  We're planning on schooling through the summer since we have had to be flexible with the move and they didn't get daily schooling the last couple of months. 

So far, things are going well.  I got some red pencils so I can start grading their work.  I need to be more disciplined than Dave was or I get sidetracked.  The house will take precidence over homework in my life if I don't stay focused.  We're still working through the kinks, but I'm optimistic I will have it mostly under control in the next week or so.

The kids are mostly settled in and adjusting.  I see their real personalities coming back now. 
~Ephraim is no longer a little tyrant (which is what I was calling him).  He is back to being fun and easy to care for.  He is changing so fast.  When we got here, he was hardly communicating.  Now he's repeating what we say and making the connections with certain actions.  He's a blast to be around again and I love it.
 ~Elsa's bossiness is no longer front and center, she is back to being helpful and loving. 
~Isaac still struggles a little with whining, but overall is just wanting to please and learn to be a big boy.
~Adin is probably the one that's had the hardest time.  He's not as distracted by the new and fun things we're getting to do.  He's focused on the loss of the friendships with his cousins.

We finally got Skype set up this last weekend.  Wow, is that fun!  It has relieved a lot of the feelings of loss the kids had.  It's like you're sitting there with the people you're talking with.  They spent about 4 hours on skype on Friday and Sunday.  It was cool.

We're meeting some old friends at a lake halfway between here and where they are in St. Louis this weekend.  I can't wait.  They were our best friends during pilot training 8 years ago.  I can't believe how long it's been since we've seen them.  During that time (2001-2003) we each only had 1 child.  Now we each have 4.  It's going to be a great time!  I'll update with pics on Tuesday :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...