Friday, April 17, 2009

New baby chicks!!

My sister with 3 of the kids

Things were very busy around here yesterday. First we picked up our new baby chicks at the local farm store. I had ordered 3 Rhode Island Reds, 3 Barred Rock, then picked up 2 extra chicks...those ones lay white eggs (which are apparently out of style this year, so Wilco had lots of them left) but are great layers. My 2 Ameraucanas ended up backordered, so I'll have to pick those up next week. I think I'll also order 2 Buff Orpingtons. 2 of them are my sisters, so that would make my chicken count to 12. I'll need two chicken tractors for that many. We have enough supplies for 1, so I'll need to go get more to make the second one. Our chicken tractors will be a variation of this one: http://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=16313-monicas-chicken-house

The kids LOVE the chicks.

They are currently residing half in/half out of my vacuum closet. It's cute to hear them chirping. There is one particularly noisy girl, and I know when they're too hot or cold.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...